Saturday, July 08, 2006

Day 1 is in the bag - everything is working flawlessly


Day 1
Hot Springs, Arkansas - Abilene, Texas

485 miles

For those who did not know it already, be advised that a lot of Texas is flat. Many roads are very straight. And, in July, it is often quite hot. I saw an air temp of 100 degrees on the VFR's gauge today, in Fort Worth. That being said, I had a great first day.

As usual, I got on the road a little later than I would have liked. I went to breakfast with my family, and those things inevitably take more time than you expect. Once I got on the road, complete with my traditional in-helmet rendition of Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again" (a touring tradition for me), I had to turn back within the first 3 miles when I discovered I had forgotten the Camelbak my son Connor had been gracious enough to lend me. I considered not going back after it, but it turns out that I was wise to retrieve it - I filled and drained it four times in the space of 485 hot, flat, straight, dry miles. Good hydration is very important.

I couldn't locate any of my family in Dallas, so I pressed on, and made it easily to my alternate destination - Abilene, TX. I'm at the KOA - I always had a preference for them. Ron and I stayed in many over the years. Added bonus - lots of them now have wireless 'net access!

I was feeling a little sheepish about the addition of music and navigation to the VFR - I have received a few raised eyebrows (real and virtual) from some riding buddies who are not yet part of that camp. After today, all I can say is - guys, you don't know what you're missing! A great selection of music sure transformed the superslab for me today!

Also a pleasant surprise was the riding gear I selected. Knowing that I would see great extremes in weather and temperature on this trip, I begrudgingly left the Aerostich Darien jacket and pants at home and am wearing the versatile Joe Rocket Alter Ego, which features a mesh body and a removeable shell that covers it. A waterproof liner and the Sahara cooling vest will both zip directly inside also. I also chose my Rev'It Airflow mesh pants. The combination of this mesh gear, the Sahara cooling vest, an Aerostich Evap-A-Danna, and the Camelbak made today very tolerable indeed. I never felt miserably hot - even at 100 degrees. The pants have a rain liner also, but while it's not too big a deal to put the liner in your jacket, disrobing roadside to put the rain liner in your pants doesn't appeal to me. I brought a pair of overpants for sudden showers and anything unexpected.

Polvadera, New Mexico tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger TRye said...

Had I read this prior to our conversation about ATGATT and how things have improved I would have realized how far the manufacturers have come. I totally get the music and nav..why not take advantage of new tech to make trips more enjoyable?

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home