Saturday, July 15, 2006

Day 6 - Head for the coast!

Day 6
Bermuda Dunes, CA to Morro Bay, CA

351 miles

Camping tonight is a welcome change in temperature from the last week. It’s about 60 degrees outside as opposed to the 115 I rode in leaving the desert today. I’ve taken my time for the last two days, visiting with my lifelong friend, Kevin Young, and his family. We found the best sushi deal I’ve ever had Wednesday at Joe’s Sushi in La Quinta, CA - $17.99 for all you can eat! Kevin and I scarfed down what would have cost $100 or more anywhere else and made a mental note that we must return sometime soon. Easier for him than me, I’m afraid!

I had endured all the heat I could stand, so this afternoon I made a bee line to the coast, knowing from having lived there for a big chunk of my life that the temperatures would be cool and pleasant. I was not disappointed – as I drew ever closer, the temp gauge on the VFR continued to fall, settling on a very pleasant 77 degrees when I met the coast at Ventura, CA.

No mechanical or any other issues to report. I had no real destination for tonight and was lucky enough to find a county campground for a reasonable price, and got the tent ready just as night fell. Tehachapi, and Ron’s house tomorrow. There is no ‘net access in this campground though, and I am going nuts that I won’t be able to watch practice for the German GP live. It will keep, as my wise old aunt always said.

1 Comments:

Blogger TRye said...

Funny how we almost expect to stay in touch with all our "stuff" even while traveling on a bike. Net access is almost a given now no matter where we are.

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home