Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 17 - With Old Friends

Day 17
With Old Friends
Santa Cruz, CA

My friend Jim Hodge, his girlfriend Rafaela, and Charles the miniature schnauzer were kind enough to take me in, feed me, give me a place to sleep, wash my clothes, and recharge in preparation for the long journey home to Arkansas. Jim has taken a run down, nondescript little house and transformed it into a cozy and inviting home for two. The fact that it is right next door to where he grew up is just icing on the cake.

Jim is a professional cook and eating at his house is always a treat. (the other way of sampling his cuisine is not as appealing – he cooks at the county jail!) Any offer extended to assist him in the kitchen is quickly but politely rebuffed – I mean, does Pavarotti need help to sing “Ave Maria”? I think not.

Jim and I were joined by another old friend, Ken Botelho (jah Kenny!) for an excursion into Monterey Bay aboard Jim’s sailboat. It was a glorious day on the bay, the kind of day that makes one forget that living in Santa Cruz has a few downsides (housing costs, traffic, bizarre local politics, etc). For a few hours we enjoyed the company and conversation and managed to forget that we had jobs and school to return to in the very near future.

Later that night, Jim barbequed some marinated skirt steaks from Shopper’s Corner, the coolest grocery store on the planet, and Ken contributed his “Killer” garlic bread to top everything off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home