Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 18 - Head East & Come Full Circle

Day 18
Coming Full Circle
Santa Cruz, CA to Fallon, NV
344 miles


I awoke to the scent of ocean air and made preparations to hit the road, still not quite sure which way I was going to use for my return route. By the time I pointed the front wheel out the driveway, I had decided to head for cooler mountain temperatures and Lake Tahoe once again, and then strike out across the “Loneliest Road in America”, US Hwy 50 across Nevada. I got my last dose of extreme heat, with the temp gauge reading 115 degrees briefly in Livermore, CA, before settling in at a steady 111 by the time I rode through Stockton. I motored up and over Carson Pass, also known as California Hwy 88, through some of the most gorgeous and spellbinding scenery yet. Anyone reading this who has not experienced it – mark it down as a “must see”. Many thanks to the generous CHP officer who gave me a break (and not a ticket) when I fudged my way past a 5th wheel rig that had not completely pulled into a turnout. More good fortune, and I've already had plenty on this trip.

I briefly considered staying in Tahoe – it would be my last visit there for a while after all – but I decided to press on a little farther east and spend the night in the town of my birth, Fallon, Nevada. While in Fallon, I found and took photos of the old high school, where my father was principal during the late 50's. It safe to say that Fallon looks completely different than it did when I was born.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home